Excerpt from the PGSS Corporate Operations Manual (April 2013)
CHAPTER 11 Rules Regarding the Use of Thomson House
Section 1: House Rules
1. The Management shall be responsible for the following, and may create policies covering them,
unless otherwise directed by the Board: the serving of alcohol, bar rules, proper behaviour, facilities
and equipment, room booking, opening hours, and parking.
2. Such management policies shall be posted in a manner that is accessible to members, as deemed
necessary by the Board.
3. Management is defined per the Employee Policy Manual.
Section 2: Members and Guests
1. All persons present shall be employees, members in good standing, guests of members duly
signed in by members, or persons attending an authorized special function, for which a contract has
2. Except for Officers of the Society, or employees, or persons authorized by them, no persons shall
be permitted in Thomson House outside of normal business hours.
3. All persons shall be liable to demonstrate to any employee that they belong to one of the
categories under the corporate operations manual.
4. Persons entering the premises may be required to establish their membership by showing an
5. There shall be no gambling permitted in the Thomson House at any time.
6. All members and employees, their guests, and all those using Thomson House or PGSS resources
shall treat each other with dignity and respect.
6.1 No persons at Thomson House, or those making use of PGSS resources, shall engage in any
behavior that is loud, vulgar, aggressive, abusive, violent, illegal, or that could be construed as
harassment, be it of a physical, verbal, psychological or sexual nature, or that is inappropriate on
any other grounds. In the event that such behavior occurs, the following protocol shall be
6.2 A staff member shall be notified, who shall then, based on his/her assessment of the
situation, either intervene with those responsible for the offending behavior or seek the
appropriate manager present to request his/her intervention as soon as possible.
6.3 The staff member or manager intervening shall, if he or she judges the complaint justified,
give warning as soon as possible that this behavior must cease immediately, and warn of the
consequences of not cooperating.
6.4 Should those conducting the offending behavior continue, they shall be asked to leave
and/or see their access to misused PGSS resources removed, depending on the nature of the
offence. If they refuse to cooperate, Campus Security or the relevant authorities may be asked
7. No one shall have exclusive use of any of the 'public' areas of Thomson House, except where a
specific contract has been made.
8. Anyone found contravening any law (Municipal, Federal or Provincial) or rule associated with the
operation of Thomson House shall be subject to immediate eviction from the premises, and in the
case of a member, subject to suspension or revocation of all privileges.
9. Cases of misconduct shall be reported to the Board, which shall decide what action to take and to
which appeals may be made, but this shall not prejudice the right of employees to take immediate
action as they see fit.
10. A regular member may entertain his/her spouse or equivalent and no more than two (2) invited
guests without prior arrangement with management employees.
11. A guest, who is eligible for associate membership, shall not be admitted to Thomson House
more than six (6) times a year at the discretion of the PGSS Board.
12. Members shall sign in their invited guests in the guest register in the main lobby. For
convenience, members may choose to pre‐sign their expected guests in the guest register.
13. Members shall be responsible for the conduct of their guests on the premises of Thomson
Section 3: Smoking
1. Smoking shall be prohibited in Thomson House.
Section 4: Bar
1. All persons in the bar shall be of legal age.
2. There shall be no alcoholic beverages brought upon or removed from the premises.
3. Intoxicated or unruly persons shall not be served.
Section 5: PGSS Facilities
1. The granting of parking privileges does not imply PGSS responsibility for the vehicles or their
contents. Vehicles left in PGSS parking space without authorization will be removed at the owner's
risk and expense.
2. Notices or posters may only be posted in Thomson House with the prior approval of management
3. The PGSS is not responsible for articles left in Thomson House. Any article found shall be given to
the doorperson; those of personal, but not intrinsic, value will be kept for one (1) week and then
destroyed. Items of intrinsic value will be registered in the lost and found book and kept for thirty
(30) days and then disposed if not claimed. If the ownership of articles can be determined,
immediate steps shall be taken for their return.
4. Any member may book rooms for specific usage. Applications are subject to approval. The
Board retains the right to refuse any application on the basis of space availability, perceived hazard
to Thomson House, booking policy, or non‐conformity with Municipal, Provincial or
Federal law. Cancellation shall be made at least three (3) days in advance; otherwise the booking fee
shall be forfeited. Cancellations made more than three (3) days in advance of a reservation date
shall be subject to a fifty percent cancellation fee.