We would like your conference or meeting to go off without a hitch, therefore we have thought of a few things that need to be considered when planning your event.
1. Timing - When signing the contract for your conference you will notice that we require certain times (namely the time organizers will arrive to set up materials, the time guests are expected to arrive, which is the time the main doors will open unless otherwise specified in advance, and the time by which you will be leaving the space) to be specified on the contract itself. Once the contract is signed it is expected that these times will be respected as you create your agenda for the day. If, after signing and sending us the contract, you decide that you need use of the space outside of the timeframe noted on the contract, you must contact us immediately to, a) check that the room is available for the time you need, and b) get a revised quote on the room booking cost, which is built upon the timeframe for the booking.
2. A/V Equipment - We have limited A/V equipment available which can be booked in advance, consisting of the following; Wired Microphones; Data Projector & Screen (Ballroom & Restaurant); Flat Screen TVs (Boardrooms & Restaurant); Flipcharts; Wireless Microphones; Portable PA system; DJ Equipment. Most equipment is at no additional cost with the exception of wireless microphones, the portable PA system, and the DJ equipment. Any other requirements need to be arranged elsewhere including any technical support. Please note that we do not keep technicians on staff. We can generally help with minor issues, i.e. connecting laptops to projectors and TVs, however you should have someone on your team who is at least somewhat knowledgeable about any A/V equipment you require.
3. Internet Access - We are part of the McGill wireless network, so Students, Faculty and Staff can log in using the McGill accounts, and those visiting from other educational institutes can log in using EduRoam. Other guests can log in by selecting 'guest.mcgill.ca' under your device's network options. They will need to agree to the terms of service and either self-register for guest credentials, or log in using a social media account.
4. Catering - If catering is being ordered for your conference you should end registration at least one full week prior to the date of the event so you can place an accurate catering order, which we need 7 to 10 days prior to the event. We can make minor adjustments up until 3 (business) days before the event. Please consider everyone you intend to feed, such as volunteers, speakers, technicians etc.
If at all possible it is best to know what people’s dietary needs are while they are registering as this helps a lot to aid in the menu planning and service.
5. Breaks – If your conference or meeting is starting early in the morning it is customary to have at least coffee/tea available as guests arrive, and to include something breakfast-y if you expect guests to arrive well before the start of the conference, i.e. during a registration period in the morning before you kick things off. Most day-long conferences end up having 4 ‘breaks’, including refreshments as guests arrive in the morning, a mid-morning break, a lunch break, and a mid-afternoon break. Generally, coffee breaks should be no less than 20 minutes if there is food involved, 15 minutes otherwise. This also depends on the amount of people attending as it takes a few minutes for everyone to get their refreshments.
6. Cocktail – If you plan to end your conference with a cocktail, be sure to include the time for this before signing off on the contract.
7. Dinner – If you plan to have a dinner at the end of your conference, and your conference takes place in the ballroom, we will need a period of time (at least an hour) where guests will leave the ballroom so we can set it up for a dinner service. In this case it may be possible to reserve the restaurant for a cocktail, while we turn the room around.
If you have any questions about anything, you can contact
Bliss Ward at 514.398.3756 or at firstname.lastname@example.org