Thomson House, formerly known as Maison Charles-Édouard Gravel (Gravel House), was built in 1934 by architects Jean-Julien Perrault and Joseph-Roméo Gadbois. It was part of the Golden Square Mile, which, at the beginning of the 20th century, was the richest district in Canada. In January 1968, the Gravel family sold the house to McGill University at the cost of 378 000 $.
Since its acquisition by the University, Thomson House serves as the PGSS headquarters. Long before that, the PGSS have worked hard at gaining access to a house dedicated to Graduate Students. In a document titled “The Need for a Post-Graduate Students’ Home”, issued by the PGSS in October 1963, it is mentioned that “The greatest need for a house comes from the necessity for post-graduate students, as well as professors, to meet often and informally at a well-known, well-frequented and attractive Post-Graduate House.” After more than five years of struggle, the PGSS was granted the use of the Gravel House. A cocktail reception was held on March 26, 1969 to celebrate the official opening of the Graduate Centre.
On December 2nd, 1971, The Gravel House was renamed the David Thomson House in tribute to David L. Thomson (1901-1964), former Dean emeritus and Vice-principal of McGill University. According to his colleagues, “A distinguished biochemist, a noted teacher and educational administrator, Dean Thomson played the role of humanitarian in public and in private.” You can actually find a portrait of David L. Thomson in one of the lounges on the first floor of Thomson House.
Today, Thomson House is a well-frequented and attractive gathering place for graduate students as it offers everything from study lounges, conference rooms, a restaurant, bars and the newly acquired patio (summer 2010) to its members.
 Répertoire d’architecture traditionnelle sur le territoire de la Communauté urbaine de Montréal, juin 1987, p. 305.
 “Golden Square Mile”, Images Montréal, Web, September 17, 2010.
 Post-Graduate Students’ Society, Brief on the Need for a Post-Graduate Students’ Home, 1963, p. 10.